History of Remington Ammunition
In 1816, Eliaphalet Remington founded E. Remington and Sons in Ilion, New York. Eliaphalet came from a farming community and his father was a blacksmith who wanted to expand his business to include making rifle barrels. Eliaphalet went to a major rifle barrel manufacturer to learn how barrels were made and came back ready to expand the family business. Soon after his trip, he built a flintlock rifle and attended a shooting match. Although he didn’t win, he left the match with several orders for rifles like his and his rifle business was born.
The 1800’s were a time of expansion and innovation for E. Remington and Sons. The company moved to a site closer to the Erie Canal and the Ilion firearms plant remains on a part of this property even now. In 1865 the company incorporated and introduced its famous rolling block rifle. In 1873 Remington diversified their business by manufacturing typewriters. This business was eventually sold in 1886 and became Remington Rand and eventually Sperry Rand. In 1888 E. Remington and Sons was acquired by Marcellus Hartley and partners. The business was reorganized and renamed the Remington Arms Company.
In 1912 Remington was merged with Union Metallic Cartridge Company to form Remington UMC. A few years later a new plant was constructed in Ilion, New York and remains in operation today. During World War One, Remington produced rifles under contract for France (M1907-15 Berthier rifles), Britain (Enfield rifles) and Russia (1891 Mosin-Nagant rifles). Remington also developed and produced the M1917 Enfield rifle and developed the Pedersen Device, an ingenious device that allowed for the M1917 to fire a short .30 caliber rifle cartridge in the semiautomatic mode of fire.
The 1920’s had Remington expanding their product line to include more items that would be of interest to a larger audience. The company introduced cutlery, to include pocket and hunting knives, household utensils and cash registers. During this time Remington began to sell clothing patched with the company logo. This was the foundation of the popular Remington line of hunting and casual clothing and accessories.
During The Great Depression, a controlling portion of Remington’s stock was bought by DuPont. Soon after Remington acquired the Chamberlain Trap and Target Company and the Peters Cartridge Company, as well as the Parker Shotgun company.
In 1940, Remington established an ordinance plant at the request of the U.S. Government. The plant was located in Independence, Missouri and was named Lake City. Five plants in total were opened by Remington in the early years of World War Two. During this time Remington also produced the iconic M1903 Springfield bolt action rifle chambered in .30-06.
1950 brought the introduction of one of the most popular shotguns in existence, the Remington 870 “Wingmaster” 12 gauge pump action shotgun. During the 50’s Remington branched out into other markets, this time with the acquisition of the Mall Tool Company. Electric, pneumatic and gas powered tools and equipment, including chainsaws were added to the Remington product line.
The 1960’s brought about the introduction of the plastic shotgun shell, and the Model 1100 autoloading shotgun. The Model 700 bolt action rifle was introduced in 1962. Partnerships with companies in Mexico and Germany to manufacture ammunition and distribute power tools, respectively, were formed.
The 70’s saw considerable expansion with the opening of facilities in Arkansas, Georgia and New York. The 1980’s were a time of restructuring and downsizing as the company turned over the Lake City Plant to the Olin Corporation, and the relocation of the corporate headquarters to Wilmington, Delaware.
The 90’s were a time of expansion into other markets again, this time more focused on the core community of firearms enthusiasts. Remington discontinued its’ apparel business and moved headquarters to North Carolina. But it also started the Remington Shooting School in Ilion, New York; began producing firearms safes and entered the in-line black powder accessory business. It was during this time that Remington began to increase its’ role in supporting the safety and protection aspects of the shooting sports industry.
Remington has recently returned to handgun manufacturing with its .45 ACP, M1911 clone as well as the AR-15 inspired R-15 and R-25 rifles. They have also expanded their market to include television series, domestic security products and the new Model 887 Nitro Mag series of shotguns.
Discuss Remington ammunition by adding your comment to the 1 comment below or by asking a new question
- James said: "great ammo, fast service will do business with again "
- Scott said: "friend and I fired 100 rounds to break in a new 1911 R1. Loved the gun and the ammo."
- John said: "This was a very good deal. Good Quality ammo"
- bud said: "bought it for practice ammo.good value.no feeding or extracting problems after 100 rnds."
- John said: "Will buy again for sure"
- db said: "great ammmo great site. quick delivery and very covenient"
- Romeo3 said: "excellent price, service and quick delivery. Just what we all want in a provider. Best part is the price. Next is the fact that you only show what you have in stock, big plus in my book and next is the lightning fast hand off to the UPS guy. I have over 200 rounds already thru my new SR1911 and gun and ammo performed flawlesly, I Shall Return, (remember him). "
- Sharpshooter said: "I would defiantly recommend this to any AR owner! Clean, Good accuracy , No Misfires, No Fail To Eject, No Fail To Load just keep on shootin worry free! Normally it's a lot cheaper hopefully soon this ammo hording will stop and we can all get the fair market price. "
- Tarpon said: "As expected"
- NuSparkey said: "Nothing like using good ammo to make you feel good about yourself. Pushed it out to 300 meters and anything off target was probably my jittery finger. Cycled well under rapid fire. I like it!"
- Rick said: "No FTF or FTE's in my Ruger Mini-14"
- Jack said: "Great ammo and a very reasonable price. Great service."
- skywarrior said: "Great fun ammo for steel targets."
- billy said: "ammo performed very well, and I would recommend this to anyone."
- JB said: "Great ammo. Shot rounds through SIG PRO 2022 9 MIL and BERETTA Px4 STORM full size without any jams or problems. Very accurate ammo, great quality, shoots clean. Will buy again. Would have been Five Stars however cost of ammo was a little too high."
- tbjr48 said: "It was a great price for the ammo and it shoots great with no problms. Will order more when I get done with this lot."
- TOM said: "GOOD STUFF. DO NOT SHOOT ANYTHING OF LESSER QUALITY. MORE ACCURATE THAN I AM. WHAT MORE COULD YOU ASK FOR."
- Frank said: "Its not cheep but it worked good. nice tight groups "
- Gene said: "goes bang when you pull the trigger."
- Steve said: "I have been shooting Thunderbolts for years .... cant go wrong here! "
- brownghost said: "I love your service it easy and very fast service u use great shippers. I never did this before,but this is the way 4 me. You have me 4 life!"
- DJS said: "I was impressed with the ammo I purchased for you. The price was right."
- Dayne said: "1st time shooting this new pistol, Smith &Wesson, M&P, 4" barrel. 1st was the target ammon to get used to it then full mag of the Remington. Very accurate even in rapid fire. 6 out of 10 in 4" circle. Other 4 within the 6" circle. In other wards, all round placement, terminal. "
- joe said: "The only thing that could have been better is the price, but with everything that is going on with gun control the price was still acceptable. Thank You and i will be purchasing more in the fucture"
- Ron G. said: "The ammo worked perfectly in my Remington R1S. Shipping costs hurt a bit."
- Rick Frank R said: "This is no doubt a very good quality ammo. It is also accurate, that is according to the shooter."
- Dasol said: "I think the ammo is great! just a bit expensive cuz of handling"
- James said: "Have run over 14,000 rounds(yes...that's fourteen-thousand- plus) through my Sig P229 and I believe maybe two or three were misfires. I am very satisfied with the product."
- Tom said: "I am a returning customer the ammo is always great and priced below others out there shipment couldn't be easier . This is a great company to do business with "
- Joe said: "What a mess, jams, powder build up.... this ammo did everything it could to foul my weapon. I blew threw cheaper Russian AMMO in my Ruger SR40C no issues, cleaning was average. As I closed in on 80 rounds of this Remington ammo you could tell it was going to be a long afternoon, powder all over the muzzle, then the jams started and cleaning took forever! Would not recommend. "
- beetle said: "CANT GO WRONG WITH THIS AMMO"
- ammo said: "remington did it again with another great ammo and ammo.net low price you can't bet it."
- BruceHMX said: "I've shot this in a Marlin 39A, Enfield BSA Trainer, M4 Colt with 22 subcal unit, SIG 226 with 22 conversion and my Colt ACE. Functioned well in all. No problems feeding or clean up. "
- 2000TC40D said: "A lot of reviewers on different sites say this ammo is junk . I have a gsg 522 always used this ammo it's accurate ,no problem rapid fire auto feeding only issue after around 2000 rounds the gun needs a complete tear down to clean it is on the dirty side AMMO.NET is GREAT TO DEAL WITH "
- Rodger said: "I was a little hesitant at first, but Ammo.net delivered as advertised. I expected a little higher price due to the ammunition shortage and found that other dealers are pricier. I will be a future customer."
- Kelly said: "These are difficult times with regards to getting ammo of just about any kind. This was a bit pricy, but not too bad and shipping was as expected and the quality was fine, but have not shot a lot as want to make sure to have some on hand."
- RICK said: "WHAT'S TO SAY? THEY LOAD WELL, GO BANG WELL AND PUT A HOLE IN WHAT EVER YOU ARE SHOOTING AT. AFTER ALL IT'S REMINGTON!"
- Tazz said: "The powder is not the same from one shot to another!! Some even sound like it is a cap gun and others are fine. I would not rec. or buy anymore Remington ammo!!!!"
- Danielson' said: "First time I ordered from your site and I love you guys and the quality of the ammo you sell. Don't tell my wife how much I ordered!! I'll BE BACK!!"
- JOHN T said: "SHOOT A DPMS SPORTATICAL 7.62/308, 16 IN BARREL, STOCK EVERYTHING, NEW GUN, SHOT 20 ROUNDS, CLEANED BARREL, SHOT 30, CLEANED BARREL, SHOT 40, CLEANED BARREL, SHOT 5 SHOT GROUP AT 100 YRDS, 1 1/2 MOA USING BIPOD ON BENCH, 4 X 12 MILLETT SCOPE, HOPE TO GET BETTER WITH MORE ROUNDS THRU BARREL, MAY REPLACE TRIGGER WITH SSA, I HAVE HEARD THAT WILL REDUCE MOA"
- RobR said: "This was my first order and I was surprised it was delivered so fast. I was also surprised they had what I wanted. Ammo is hard to find. I will definetly order again."
- Kristian223 said: "Shot all 250 rounds in one and a half hours not one miss fire or hickup, great clay ammo will be buying more in the future."
- charlie said: "bought a new bersa 380 cc shot all 250 rounds through gun had no problems with gun or ammo"
- shorty said: "I find this to be a quality practice ammo at a good price. Your service was prompt and will probably use ammo.net again for some 9mm ammo."
- Mike said: "If you will look at your discription,you left out the fact that this ammo is +P, I have a 38 special that can't use this ammo, but I have another that can. Mike L"
- CB said: "Purchased 500 rounds of this ammo, shot 25 rounds without any problems. With the discount from facebook this purchase per box was cheaper than any other place I could have purchased this ammo. I have shot this ammo before with no problems, cycles well in my Saiga 12."
- Hacksaw said: "This is great Ammo. Has great power and penetration. This .22 bullet went through 5 pine 2x4s. It shoots a good pattern at 80 yards. I am well satisfied. Hacksaw"
- tomlinson3131 said: "Great Ammo!! I am very pleased with this 22lr ammo! The shipping was fast, and the ammo shoots very consistent! I got very tight groups when shooting my Mossberg AR 22. Will definitely be buying more of these!!!"
- Danielson' said: "What a treat to be able to shoot in the backyard without the hassel of always trying to get the clip feed to un jam. Clean shooting ammo - thanks Ammo.net!!"
- springfield emp said: "just what i ordered, no problems, speedy delivery, easy site to use & great customer sevice."
- mikentexas said: "This is my first purchanse from Ammo.net, but it won't be my last. I've ordered ammo from several web sites, all promising the lowest price for the same ammo. In a direct comparison, this is the lowest price for exactly the same ammo. The ammo came well packaged in 50-round sets and fired flawlessly. Hard to complain about that."
- quick draw said: "normally remington has a hard time in my ruger sr9c, but this nickel plated umc target did great, not that dirty compared to the regular remington umc, and it seemed less smokey, I hope they make more of this stuff, I like it alot!!! just keep the price down and it's a winner. "
- bill said: "Shot about 50 rounds through Ruger super Redhawk. lots of punch, good clean shell. Considering today's prices, good value."
- Tomcat said: "I was looking for something to shoot that didn't cost me an arm and a leg. There were no 9mm or 22LR available so I bought these 38SPL rounds. They performed quite well and allowed me to shoot my old model 6. 4" heavy barrel S&W. Over all I am happy with the results."
- Dude said: "Overall good shell but had two that did not fire. Guess that's not bad for 250 shells. "
- eeffoc said: "my resent purchase from ammo.net met my expectations I enjoyed shooting it, and have no problems with the price. I will shop ammo.net again"
- steve9199 said: "I haven't fired any of the rounds I recently purchased, but having used Remington ammunition before, I know it's very high quality. I've heard some glowing reviews of the Golden Sabre ammunition, and I can't wait to try it out."