8x57 JS Ammunition
History of 8x57 JS Ammunition
The 8x57 JS entered service with the German Empire in 1905. It is also known as the 7.92x57mm Mauser or 8mm Mauser. This cartridge has an interesting service history; it was used in World War I by the Germans. In World War II it was used by Germany, Poland, and Great Britain. Soon after, Israel used the 8x57 JS, along with other surplus rifles, in its War of Independence. Egypt also built and equipped troops with the Hakim rifle that was chambered for the 8x57 JS. It has been seen in a narrower scope more recently, to include the Yugoslav wars of the 1990’s and the Libyan Civil War of 2011.
The most common use of the 8x57 JS today is in the hunting world. It is suitable for hunting any game animal on the planet. It is most commonly seen in the K98 Mauser rifle and its variants, as well as several European rifles. Remington produced a limited edition Model 700 in 8x57 JS in 2004 and has since stopped production. Ammuniton is primarily manufactured by European companies to include Sellier and Bellot, Partizan and Sako.
The ballistics of the 8x57 JS have been compared to the .30-06 and are impressive. With bullet weights ranging from 152.8 to 197.5 grains, the cartridge will easily generate over 2700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle and velocities approaching 2900 feet per second. Interestingly enough, the 197.5 grain bullet used by the Germans in WW II maintained supersonic velocity well past 1000 meters.
The 8x57 JS is an excellent hunting cartridge that will most likely continue with its popularity in European hunting circles. Although never a wildly popular cartridge in the United States, the 8x57 JS will most likely retain its place in the cluster of European cartridges that have earned their place in the collections of shooters across the country.
Discuss 8x57 JS Ammunition by adding your comment to the 5 comments below or by asking a new question