History of 5.56x45mm Ammunition
Developed in the late 1950s and early 1960s after extensive research into small caliber, high-velocity (SCHV) projectiles, 5.56x45 has become one of the world's most popular centerfire cartridges. It is used by police and military agencies around the globe, as well as a growing number of private citizens in the United States. Its sister cartridge the .223 Remington was inspired by the 5.56x45 and can be used in rifles chambered for the 5.56.
The first 5.56x45 loads featured 55 grain full metal jacket bullets at over 3200 feet per second out of the barrel of the then-new AR-15 rifle, which later became the M16. Since that time, a number of other projectiles have been used, including the steel penetrator tip M855 and barrier-blind Mk318, both of which are 62gr bullets. Also, Sierra MatchKing 77gr BTHP, or OTM, bullets are used in the Mk262 precision marksman ammunition.
Due to its worldwide popularity, the 5.56x45 cartridge has been used by a number of firearm manufacturers. Colt, Armalite and Bushmaster, as well as many others, have produced semi-automatic and automatic rifles chambered in 5.56x45.
Discuss 5.56x45 ammunition by adding your comment to the 1 comment below or by asking a new question
- A65impalla said: "I was glad to find that Ammo.net had plenty of stock of this ammo. I searched the net of a lot of places, their prices are very competitive."
- twolazy said: "I have not shot any of this batch or the batch prior, I haven’t even opened the boxes. I’m in high hopes I never have to open these boxes. I’ve used Federal 5.56 before and it is good stuff. Price is stiff, not as stiff as some I’ve seen. But then everything gun related is more expensive, isn’t it. Get it while the getting is good."
- Doc said: "I guess a shortage in the ammo supply has driven the price up, as I found your ammo to be a bit more expensive than I had anticipated.. Regardless, the delivery time was exceptional & the ammo itself came in good condition and preformed well."
- Tommy said: "I have already recommended it, that being said, it is a bit pricey. But considering that there is such a shortage, I was happy to have it. I get a small disability check once a month, so, I'll have to save more money."
- CJ said: "The order was handled quickly and efficiently. I would recommend Ammo.net to anyone who has stood in line trying to find ammo."
- Adam said: "Good, Clean, ammo....pricey but what can ya do....fast delivery too I cant even find a die set to reload let alone the bullets or primers so this ammo will do untill times are better....if ever "
- deaves1 said: "5 stars"
- Don said: "Nice to know where to locate ammo after this BS of low production and high demand."
- Joe-we-had-a-baby-it's-a-boy said: "Ammo was well packed, but the tins came in a bit banged up. Ammo was clean in good shape but stripper clips showed moisture damage with minor rust making it hard to load with the speed loader. The cost was deffently high and go figure right after I ordered I found 1000rnds of loose pack 62gr lake city for the same price as one tin of 420rnds, but finding 556 ammo these days is deffently a gamble of finding it and its price! Hopefully all this Bull will be over soon!"
- mrob6868 said: "Good and clean, but a little pricey."
- nikpac said: "good clean ammo and a great overall value"
- trooper said: "This ammo package is over twice as expensive as it should be. If you don't reload your own .223 just go with Wolf... "
- jj said: "a good qalityt shell cida "
- Gilbert said: "good"
- Gilbert said: "good clean ammo sum what pricey but good over all"
- ammosmurff said: "I've shot PMC ammo for years on the range, for .223, .45acp & 9mm, never had a misfire or failure to feed on any of my guns. Korean ammo is the only foreign ammo I'll buy!"
- J A said: "I have not shot any of this ammo as of yet because it is down the line in my rotation. But I was comfortable purchasing PMC ammo as I've never had any bad ammo from the company. The price was right at the time so it was a good buy for me. I look forward to purchasing ammo from your site again, thank you..."
- Dave said: "Very good ammo for the money! Reliable and accurate. Can't ask for anything more than that. "
- dkmatthews said: "There's no doubting the quality of PMC Bronze. It's super reliable in every firearm. Thanks for a good deal on the case of ammo."
- chris said: "I have a remington Model 700sps varmint 223. with a bull barrel, n added a bipod, and a Barska 4-14 x 40 scope. i picked up a fiew boxes of the pmc bronze boat tail ammo in 55 grain simply because they wer only 7.25 for a box of 20. i was realy surprised on how consistant they wer. i placed 18 outa 20 rounds in a 3 inch circle at 150 yds. with a slight breeze. over all im realy pleased with this product, and will continue to use, an recommend this ammo."
- Runner said: "PMC is a very reliable ammunition , I would not hesitate to use if for self defense. It shot well and now that I have shot it and used it all, I`ll need to order more. BTW , I use PMC in my handgun for home protection and it is as good as it gets and the 5.56x45 is as great . "
- MM said: "I shot about 200 rounds through my brand new SIG716. The very first 3-4 rounds wouldn't feed perfectly, but I attribute this to the brand spanking new equipment. After that, rifle and ammo performed flawlessly. Not a single issue with feeding, cycling, firing, etc. At 150 yards, I had all shots within about 2-3 inches using a cheap scope and no rest. Great product and especially GREAT SERVICE! Thank you guys!!!"
- D said: "Great customer service, placed the order last friday fully expecting not to get the order with all that is going on, you won't find a better company to deal with, as for the Ammo, top notch perfect for my use."
- CowwFace said: "I got this for taking to the range, went through about 100 rounds and zero duds. works perfectly in 2 AR's. We were using Red-Dot scopes, and hit what we were aiming at about 100 yrds away. I would highly recommend this ammo."
- gokart04 said: "Finally got to shoot some of this the other day. Worked well and shot consistant/accurate. No feeding or fire failures out of about 100 rounds in my BCM AR-15. I feel the price is a bit too high at this time. "
- J.W. said: "These were the first rounds shot through my ar. I have no complaints, it cycles fine even through rapid firing. I would definitely buy these again."
- H.D. said: "Works great, cycles fine, glad I found your sight."
- Pat said: "This is excellent ammo. Velocity is up there, at least in my 20" barrel DTI ar 15. Kinda lucky to buy this cheap ammo and get it to shoot the way this stuff did. I love being able to buy metal cases as well as brass cases. The metal are non-reloadable and it's nice to just shoot these and not worry about looking after shooting. I worry about the future of buying ammo over the 'net in the future. Here in Illinois our great governor Quinn moves on every front to close the avenues to get ammo. Good Shooting to All "
- GearheadTony said: "I have tried several more expensive brands of 5.56 and .223, but none of them can match the performance per dollar of PRVI. This is now the only ammo I use in my AR. As for Lewmed's review above, my 16" AR with my not-so-steady trigger finger are able to make 2MOA groups at 100 yards. 4 to 5 inches?!?! Not in my rifle."
- Lewmed said: " This is nice clean ammo that shoots and works in all 3 of my AR'S but it is not as accurate as mil. spec. ammo like lake city M193 My normal 21/2" 100 yard groups open up to 4 to 5" I'll use it for 50 yard range ammo."
- Dorothy said: "Thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I was right."
- murdock said: "62 grain shoots just fine. no jams. but that old vietnam ak will fire, even when dropped in mud, and water. thanks Im just glad you had the ammo, and the price was right."
- Mikey A said: "As usual very prompt customer service and worry free shipping, love these guys & gals @ ammo.net Well I am no expert about ammo, but I will say that this ammo was performing better than some more expensive products. fresh and snappy, good penetration and groupings 2"-3" @ 200-300 yds, mini-14 1-9 twist , similar to SS109 m855 but heavier Gr. "
- lroberts103 said: "Great company to work with. Fast shipping great price"
- Michael said: "This 5.56 ammo was just what my AR needed."
- Bill said: "I have tried different ammo with Sig 556. Its eats everything but I find Lake City 5.56 62gr --- No failures, Accurate @ 100 to 300 yards ( my club limits ) I have the feeling of complete depenability."
- Russ said: "This is great ammo for the hybrid AR's.The brass is good for reloading and the 62 grain bullets stabilize well. Russ"
- Nate said: "The ammo itself LOOKS beautiful compared to Lake City penetrators but I have not shot it yet so I can't comment on that. I paid more per round, but that is just the market, not Ammo.net."
- Bigthiss said: "Great ammunition for the price. I used to buy the federal loose bulk ammo in 500 and 1000 but there were always at least 10-20 that were either faulty loads or misfired. This ammo is hands down the best for the price that I have purchased and shot. Highly recommend!! "
- Bobber1123 said: "Love the stripper clips. I think it took just 2 days to arrive. The price was excellent. "
- Shooter McGee said: "I searched many places for this product. You had the best price around, and the product arrived on schedule. Thanks for your great product and service. "