History of 223 Remington Ammunition
The .223 Remington cartridge was introduced to the civilian market in January of 1964. In February of 1964, the United States Air Force adopted the cartridge as the 5.56x45mm for use in their new M-16 rifles. The .223 was the released to the civilian market as a rifle cartridge to be used as a varmint and predator hunting cartridge.
This mild recoiling cartridge would prove popular among several shooting disciplines and firearms applications. Varmint and predator hunters were the initial focus of the .223 Remington. The flat shooting and excellent accuracy of the cartridge were admired by the hunters who found it effective on small vermin up to medium size predators, such as coyote, out to 300 yards. Some hunters use it on game as large as deer, but several jurisdictions do not allow the .223 to be used for deer hunting noting the bullet diameter or muzzle energy are not sufficient for a humane harvest.
The .223 Remington is also popular among competitive shooters as it can be found at Service Rifle and F-Class matches. Here it is used for precision shooting at ranges up to 1000 yards. The .223 is also popular among 3-gun shooters where the mild recoil allows for light rifles with high magazine capacity to be used for fast and accurate shooting.
Law enforcement agencies have also found the .223 Remington to be a valuable addition to their firearms cache. It can be found in patrol cars and used in place of the 12 gauge shotgun when a longer or more precise shot is needed. In addition to patrol duties, some departments have also found it to be useful for urban sniping operations.
The .223 Remington is actually a .224 diameter bullet. Its bullet weights commonly range from 36-77 grains. The muzzle velocities from a rifle span 2700 to 3700 feet per second, with muzzle energies from 1100-1300 foot pounds of energy. Since the .223 Remington is one of the most popular cartridges in America, firearms manufacturers are regularly expanding and refining their products chambered for the .223.
No discussion of this caliber would be complete without a mention of the AR-15 type rifles that are wildly popular. Some of these rifles are chambered for the .223 Remington, while others are chambered for the 5.56x45mm. The two cartridges are not the same. Due to different case dimensions, the 5.56 throat and case are designed in a way that if they are fired in a rifle chambered for .223, it will result in potentially dangerously high pressures. These pressures could damage the firearm and or the shooter. With that being said, the .223 ammunition can be used in firearms chambered for the 5.56mm with no ill effects.
Discuss 223 Ammunition by adding your comment to the 4 comments below or by asking a new question
- JC said: "I have a Colt which is can be picky on ammo. I have never had a jam with this Federal 223 ammo. ammon.net was fast and great to work with. my only complaint is the current prices everywhere right now."
- Hooter said: "Ammo is great shooting, clean, no problems. Shipping on time and great service. The recent worldwide increase in ammo prices are ridiculous. Not a lot you can do about it, though"
- james said: "ammo shot fine, fast service great prices"
- Stricky323 said: "Great ammo. No issues while shooting. Good price. Highly recommend. "
- Brian said: "Great ammo for weekend shooting, good price and fast shipping "
- Sandy said: "The ammo arrived on my birthday and it was the highlight of my day. My order was filled and sent to me so fast I was pleasantly surprised. The cartridges are of the highest quality, not musty surplus like some folks are selling. Very happy, thank you."
- Retired Sarge said: "My first time using the rifle I used this ammo. On a 10 inch dirty bird target I was able to land consistent groupings .I was able to land 59 out of 60 rounds in the 9 ring or better. The order was shipped and I received it on the third day. Service is excellent."
- stan said: "very happy ,with the ammo, no jam ups,carb build up is minor -compare to wolf. price is affordable for the weekend shooter. Quality of the ammo is very very good for the price. also very happy with .ammo.net- getting the order out to me so i can blow up the targets.. i don t like waiting for my ammo- the last place had to wait three weeks,was not happy"
- Sharpshooter said: "I would defiantly recommend this to any AR owner! Clean, Good accuracy , No Misfires, No Fail To Eject, No Fail To Load just keep on shootin worry free! Normally it's a lot cheaper hopefully soon this ammo hording will stop and we can all get the fair market price. "
- Tarpon said: "As expected"
- NuSparkey said: "Nothing like using good ammo to make you feel good about yourself. Pushed it out to 300 meters and anything off target was probably my jittery finger. Cycled well under rapid fire. I like it!"
- Rick said: "No FTF or FTE's in my Ruger Mini-14"
- Jack said: "Great ammo and a very reasonable price. Great service."
- skywarrior said: "Great fun ammo for steel targets."
- ammosmurff said: "I've shot PMC ammo for years on the range, for .223, .45acp & 9mm, never had a misfire or failure to feed on any of my guns. Korean ammo is the only foreign ammo I'll buy!"
- J A said: "I have not shot any of this ammo as of yet because it is down the line in my rotation. But I was comfortable purchasing PMC ammo as I've never had any bad ammo from the company. The price was right at the time so it was a good buy for me. I look forward to purchasing ammo from your site again, thank you..."
- Dave said: "Very good ammo for the money! Reliable and accurate. Can't ask for anything more than that. "
- dkmatthews said: "There's no doubting the quality of PMC Bronze. It's super reliable in every firearm. Thanks for a good deal on the case of ammo."
- chris said: "I have a remington Model 700sps varmint 223. with a bull barrel, n added a bipod, and a Barska 4-14 x 40 scope. i picked up a fiew boxes of the pmc bronze boat tail ammo in 55 grain simply because they wer only 7.25 for a box of 20. i was realy surprised on how consistant they wer. i placed 18 outa 20 rounds in a 3 inch circle at 150 yds. with a slight breeze. over all im realy pleased with this product, and will continue to use, an recommend this ammo."
- Earl the Pearl said: "Never had a problem, fed and fired always."
- Darryl said: "Wasn't expecting the shipment so fast, fired from my rifles without problem dead on target."
- Medic505 said: "Shot well from a Bushmaster m-4 and even better from a Savage Mod.10 heavy barrel. Pounding a spray paint can with every shot at 300 yards. Best price I've found for factory loaded rounds. Service was great. Arrived 3 days after order."
- Willy said: "I have a Colt AR15, SP-1, which was the closest thing I could find to the M-16 I had in Vietnam. I also have a Ruger Mini-14 with a Bushnell red-dot. Both held their groups at 100 yards with this ammo. I shoot 5 shot 3" groups with both guns at that range on a bench without any support but my forearm. I shoot the SP-1 on a sandbag at 200 yards with the same group. The Ruger fall off badly at that range; gun's fault. Your ammo is fine. I can do better on the price but your service is good."
- TedG said: "Fired about 100 rounds. No misfeeds, no duds, no significant accuracy loss over green-tips at 100yrds. I did notice that the spent casings actually eject a little differently (more to the rear and in a tighter grouping). This is actually nice for me because, when I fire federals, about 1/2 of the brass flies out the window of my shooting hut while the Wolf "brass" piles up in a neat little spot next to me on the inside of the hut. The price is right - highly recommended for plinking! "
- myob said: "good ammo"
- Rick said: "Price was right, delivery was quick, Fed and ejected with no problems."
- Jimbillyjoebob said: "You have to keep your AR clean no matter what ammo you feed it. I would not use this ammo for hunting if I had better available, but if you're going to be humming through 300+ rounds on an afternoon, it's hard to beat. Very rare misfeeds."
- Rodge said: "The service was excellent. The performance of the Aguila .223 Rem FMJ ammo is superior to ammo that cost more. It is excellent quality brass and I've not had a single failure to date in over 1250 rounds fired over a three month period."
- Zombiesrnuts said: "Ammo.net had the best price per round for the Aguila and also was pleasantly surprised on the ease and quickness of the order and delivery! I'll always shop here first!"
- JunkYard said: "Im amazed at the super fast service! I wil continue my shopping at Ammo.net. Thanks. "
- Gunman8 said: "Good groups, quick delivery, great price. Thank you."
- Larry N. said: "First let me start by saying the service I have received from Ammo.net has been EXCELLENT!!! As far as the TulAmmo 223 rem. 55gr FMJ product goes it is very reasonably priced and shoots very good groups out to 200 yds. I will warn anyone using this ammo on a regular basis you will need to clean the chamber of your rifle every 2 to 3 hundred rounds with Acetone. This will breakdown any lacquer buildup and stop any FTE's from happening. I have never had a dud round of Tula (unlike Wolf or Brown Bear) and I shoot alot of this stuff. I read poor reviews on this ammo quite often and it's all due to not cleaning the weapon properly."
- JPM said: "Great ammo. Bought the 1000 round case, best price on the net. Fired about 200 with no problems, no jams or misfires. Fast shipping and good follow up. I would highly reccomend this ammo and this supplier."
- USA GUNNER said: "GOOD AMMO AT A BETTER PRICE"
- CRAIG said: "GREAT AMMO AND IT SHOOTS VERY GOOD WITH NO MALFUNCTIONS"
- beetle said: "CANT GO WRONG WITH THIS AMMO"
- ammo said: "remington did it again with another great ammo and ammo.net low price you can't bet it."
- BonzoDRmc said: "was my first purchase here, but WILL NOT be my last. great ammo and a even greater price. this seller is highly recomended. the ammo is top notch ammo. shoots clean and very acurate. like i said i WILL be getting more !!!"
- Dave said: "Exellent value very clean shooting ammo... best choice for the money."
- Mac said: "I put some new sights on a Mini 14 and wanted some inexpensive ammo to do some serious practicing. The Tula is working perfectly for this. Thanks!"
- CEDWCEV said: "HAD A GOOD TIME AT THE RANGE WITH THIS AMMO. NEVER HAD A FTF."
- ws said: "Pretty decent ammo for the price."
- Cole said: "Good ammo. Feeds well in AR-15 and have had no misfires."
- Bill said: "This is the best ammo for the money, I've purchased the same in another color and paid alot more for it."
- Chris said: "I shot close to 100 rounds with no problems. Good buy, will get more!"
- Pogo said: "Consistent sub MOA groups with a Fulton Armory AR-15 A2, SS match barrel 1:9 twist. Compared to similar match loads by Black Hills, Remington and Hornady; factor of 2 improvement on accuracy with this Federal ammo. Ammo.net get more of this into stock! "
- USMC1 said: "I have tried a number of rounds from flat base hollow point to ballistic tip's but I was not satisfied with the results. So, I tried the 69 grain BTHP match, I was very pleased with the results, much more consistent, however purchasing massed produced ammo for accuracy is not the way to go. If you shoot a lot, reloading your own ammo is the best way to ensure that every round is the same. I feel the value of the ammo is about average in cost. What I paid for the 40 rounds from ammo net including shipping I could buy the same at a local store, so not really a savings."
- Willie said: "Haven't fired any yet."
- Roadkingcsk said: "Tried shooting this in my Colt. Never had any problems with ammo before. Couldn't get the rounds to cycle. Put some cheap brass loads in and everything was fine. Plastic clips were annoying to get rounds free. Should not have bought as much of it as I did, not sure what the hell to do with it now. "
- Freddy said: "Better then I excepted. Quick delivery, at a great price. Not one fault. Will be using again in the future. Keep up the good work guys. "
- KO said: "Glad to have found this website customer service has been great and product just as described. "
- Bob said: "Ammo fired without any jams, misfires or problems of any type. Ammo feed was smooth and no ejection problems. All spent casings cleared weapon cleanly. "
- David said: "I ordered this ammo on a Monday and it was at my door on Friday! Considering that it had to be shipped four states away that is FAST shipping. I also like the fact that Ammo.net donates a portion of every sale to pro gun institutions. This is now my number one "go to" source for ammo."
- dan from ohio said: "looked for a great deal and found it here, the ammo was great and I am very pleased"
- SeniorChief85 said: "with 223 in high demand, I found this to be the best value around......fired 200 rounds in my S&W AR-15 Sport with no FTF/FTE...all in the black...no fliers. I'll be ordering more from Ammo.com in the future."