22 Long Rifle (LR) Ammunition
History of .22 Long Rifle Ammunition
The .22 Long Rifle is without question, the most popular and prolifically produced cartridges in the United States. It has served hunters, sport shooters, law enforcement and military needs for over 100 years. Based on the Flobert BB cap the .22 LR is a result of continual improvement on the BB cap to fill the need for an accurate, low recoil, low noise cartridge for a variety of uses. The .22LR can be used for many different purposes, target shooting, plinking, and small vermin control are its most common uses. The comparatively inexpensive ammunition and high availability make the .22 LR a great choice for extended sessions at the range, as well as being much lighter to carry on extended hunting trips or hikes.
The .22 LR has been chambered in pistols and rifles in every common action type. From derringers to full sized military rifle clones, the .22 LR has the largest choice of firearms models chambered for it. A popular trend in .22 LR ammo is to have a conversion system for a firearm that is chambered for a centerfire caliber. This allows the user to train with the firearm they will use in daily carry or competition while doing so with less noise, recoil and cost. .
22 LR ammo has made only minor changes since its introductions by the J. Stevens Arm & Tool Company in 1887. Since then the .22 LR has increased in velocity, range and accuracy from its initial offerings. There are also lightweight hollow point bullets that offer a flatter trajectory with the energy transference that can only be achieved with a hollow point bullet. There are also companies that manufacture a .22 LR shot cartridge, this uses a small amount of #12 shot as a payload to very small rodents at close range, where the use of a solid point bullet would prove dangerous. Of all the uses that a .22LR has, it is most noted for being the first firearm that most people have shot.
It is the choice of youth shooting programs the world over as it is low in cost, accurate and has virtually no recoil or muzzle blast. This allows for the shooter to concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting and not worry about noise or recoil. The .22LR is a great cartridge that is enjoyed by virtually all shooters the world over. The wide range of firearms that shoot this inexpensive cartridge, along with the shooter friendly aspects will ensure that the popularity of the .22LR will remain for decades to come.
Discuss 22 Long Rifle (LR) Ammunition by adding your comment to the 18 comments below or by asking a new question
- Frank said: "Its not cheep but it worked good. nice tight groups "
- Gene said: "goes bang when you pull the trigger."
- Steve said: "I have been shooting Thunderbolts for years .... cant go wrong here! "
- brownghost said: "I love your service it easy and very fast service u use great shippers. I never did this before,but this is the way 4 me. You have me 4 life!"
- david10140 said: "fast shipping great price and great service"
- Chuck said: "I would buy these again..........Very Good"
- BruceHMX said: "I've shot this in a Marlin 39A, Enfield BSA Trainer, M4 Colt with 22 subcal unit, SIG 226 with 22 conversion and my Colt ACE. Functioned well in all. No problems feeding or clean up. "
- 2000TC40D said: "A lot of reviewers on different sites say this ammo is junk . I have a gsg 522 always used this ammo it's accurate ,no problem rapid fire auto feeding only issue after around 2000 rounds the gun needs a complete tear down to clean it is on the dirty side AMMO.NET is GREAT TO DEAL WITH "
- red said: "bought to cover me in case we can't get anymore do till i can get some more in case of zombies, not to just casually shoot "
- CowwFace said: "Bought 1000 rounds of this to take to the range. We went through about 100 rounds in 2 AR's and zero duds. Perfect feeding, no jamming in either rifle. Using Red Dot sights hit what you pointed the dangerous end at. I would highly recommend this ammo. Tractor on"
- RICK said: "WHAT'S TO SAY? THEY LOAD WELL, GO BANG WELL AND PUT A HOLE IN WHAT EVER YOU ARE SHOOTING AT. AFTER ALL IT'S REMINGTON!"
- Tazz said: "The powder is not the same from one shot to another!! Some even sound like it is a cap gun and others are fine. I would not rec. or buy anymore Remington ammo!!!!"
- rod said: "Was very happy to find 22 rounds getting hard to find now a days. Will be buying more from you."
- Danny said: "Excellent ammo no misfires or jams, Great price also, Pleasure doing business with you, will by again,"
- Schneider said: "Am very satified with the performance in our rifles: Hope you get some more in before long~~~"
- tomlinson3131 said: "Great Ammo!! I am very pleased with this 22lr ammo! The shipping was fast, and the ammo shoots very consistent! I got very tight groups when shooting my Mossberg AR 22. Will definitely be buying more of these!!!"
- Hacksaw said: "This is great Ammo. Has great power and penetration. This .22 bullet went through 5 pine 2x4s. It shoots a good pattern at 80 yards. I am well satisfied. Hacksaw"
- dmcneelus said: "This is excellent .22 lr ammo. it performs flawlessley and i have had zero ftf. this is ammunition I need lots more od. The shipping was quick and there is no problem ordering from this company."
- chief said: "Ammo was great. After adding shipping i probably could have bought it cheaper. However at the time it was scarce. AND STILL IS!"
- thederdog said: "Bought 400 rounds not one missfire or jam. Fired true at 100 yards . Expensive for 22LR but does fires true and clean "